Many cosmetics and skin care products that are used all over the world have chemicals that contain carcinogens, which are known to cause cancer. Much like other conventional skincare products, typical deodorants and antiperspirants rely heavily on preservatives, fragrances, and other toxic chemicals to get the job done.
However, going natural isn’t always as straightforward as one might think; especially when switching to natural deodorant. In fact, people tend to experience uncomfortable rashes, excessive sweating, and bad odor during the transition. This can be uncomfortable and may even turn some people off of the switch altogether, but thankfully a successful armpit detox can help.
The problem with conventional deodorants
The armpits are the body’s entry and exit points. Deodorants mask the smell of bacteria from sweating, while antiperspirants are designed to actually reduce sweating. The use of antiperspirants is particularly questionable as it is un-natural to block the body’s ability to sweat. Adding to that, typical deodorants and antiperspirants contain a variety of chemicals that are harmful to your health and linked to everything from breast cancer to Alzheimer’s disease.
Common Ingredients to Avoid in Deodorants
- Aluminum– Aluminum is known to be linked to breast cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. Studies have found that it also mimics estrogen in the body, is capable of causing alterations to our DNA, and can even help to promote the growth of breast cancer cells.
- Parabens- Parabens are known to disrupt hormones. They mimic the stress hormone estrogen, which when in excess, shuts down thyroid hormone. You can read more about the thyroid-skin connection in our previous blog post. Parabens are also linked to nearly every type of cancer (including breast cancer), infertility, and skin disease.
- Phthalates– Primary used to soften plastic, phthalates are also known endocrine disruptors. They are known to cause breast cancer, premature breast development in females, and cause a host of birth defects in both males and females.
- Propylene glycol – This is an anti antifreeze agent that it carries a moderate risk of immunotoxicity and allergies.
- Formaldehyde- Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen used to preserve dead bodies. It is also known to cause a variety of skin problems and adversely affect immune function.
With a list like this, it’s clear that putting these chemicals on the body can only have a harmful effect on your health. Let alone putting them on the delicate skin of the underarm, where there are lymph nodes that protect the body from infections. Clogging this area with chemicals is a bad idea, as when the lymph is stagnant with toxins, the immune system weakens and you may experience hormonal imbalances.
The Downside of Going Natural
Excess bad bacteria caused by toxic deodorants often leads to increased odor and more sweating. One study actually shows that using certain deodorants or an antiperspirant daily can actually change the bacterial microbiome in your armpits and make your sweat smellier when you discontinue use. This is why making the switch to natural options isn’t as easy as it may sound.
Many times the transition from chemicals to natural options comes with uncomfortable “side effects”. These may include various skin problems like rashes and redness, excess sweating, and bad odor. Although undesirable, don’t let them scare you off as they are just signs of the body naturally adjusting. Though it might sound like a strange concept, an armpit detox may be a good idea to help rebalance bacteria, which eases the adjustment period and minimizes the discomfort.
Benefits of an Armpit Detox
In addition to deodorant and antiperspirant interfering with your body’s natural attempt to remove toxins, years of using them can result in clogged pores and toxic buildup. This is another key reason to do an armpit detox. An armpit detox can help get rid of chemical residue as well as pull out common product buildup from underneath the armpits. It also helps neutralize the bad odor commonly experience when transitioning to natural deodorant and prevents uncomfortable reactions.
How to Detox Your Armpits
The two most commonly used masks for armpit detoxes are aluminum-free baking soda or a simple mix of bentonite clay and apple cider vinegar. It is recommended that you apply the detox treatment daily and leave on for a few minutes before washing off with warm water. Repeat this until odor and/or any irritations go away.
Bentonite clay, which is known to pull out toxins and metals, is actually one of the 4 clays in our Alitura Clay Mask. Additionally, Rhassoul clay further assists the detox process by improving skin elasticity, unclogging pores, and removing excess surface oils. Kaolin clay helps to purify, nourish, and heal different skin types. Lastly, Illite is the most widely used medicinal clay worldwide.
That said, the Alitura Clay Mask is a powerful and detoxifying all-in-one blend, which makes it a great option for detoxing your armpits!
Have you transitioned to natural deodorant? If so, did you try an armpit detox? We look forward to hearing about your experience in the comments below!
The Natural Path to Perfect Skin
30 PAGES FULL OF SKINCARE SECRETS
Click here to get your FREE eBook and learn the Natural Path to Perfect Skin!
The post Switching to Natural Deodorant: Why You Should Detox Your Armpits appeared first on Alitura Naturals.